The Providence Health & Services Fellowship Program is project-based and the program manager will work with the fellow to select meaningful projects. Project opportunities are personalized to the individual interests of the fellow, but are intended to directly support organizational initiatives. The fellow is encouraged to complete projects at both the system office and at Providence’s area medical centers and/or other clinical ministries.
The following are examples of past projects that fellows have completed during their fellowship:
- Performance Excellence –Led development of Providence Regional Medical Center at Everett cardiac and vascular service-line dashboards, which match clinically relevant data to the organization’s financial and market goals.
- Business Development –Developed a business plan to improve Providence Boldt Diabetes Center’s financial performance from an operating loss and save at least $40,000 within three years due to superior coding practices.
- Product Development – Built a competitive CABG care package bundled product with the Oregon Region Health Plan and Strategic Planning and Innovation Team.
- Governance - Improved the community ministry board self-assessment process by developing an online assessment tool to replace the previous paper tool. Produced board assessment reports that gave board members more information to address problem areas.
- Process Improvement – Restructured processes for Quality Committee meetings at a Providence skilled nursing facilities. The goal was to establish workflows with clear action plans and lines of accountability to align with quality objectives and ensure the facility is survey-ready at all times.
- Strategic Planning – Re-structured a loosely-defined patient safety system initiative and presented set of strategic recommendations to guide Executive Leadership planning to push forward the Culture of Safety agenda.
- Information Technology – Compiled a white paper on innovative data and information usage within healthcare and other industries. This work became the foundation for an initiative aimed at enhancing the healthcare intelligence capabilities of the entire Providence Health & Services system.
- Community Benefit – Developed and implemented the first ever community needs assessment focused on the Providence corporate office’s surrounding community.
- Strategy and Business Development - Managed formal due diligence process for Swedish transaction/affiliation, ensuring system had all information needed to make informed decision and affiliation with another health system.
- Physicians Relations – Produced a gap analysis of the Physician Leadership Development program for each region of Providence.
- Service Line Planning – Managed the creation and logistics of a heart screening program geared toward youth for the Oregon Region’s heart and vascular service lines.
- Business Development – Developed responsible growth business plan for Providence Hospice of Seattle, which yielded a 22% growth in census over an eight month period. Served as interim manager for a team of six Outreach Liaisons assigned to various accounts throughout King County to foster community partnerships, generate hospice referrals, and ensure excellent customer service for the agency.
- Strategic Planning – Developed a comprehensive Case Study research report on Digestive Disease Centers of Excellence. Delivered presentation with strategic recommendations for the strategic leadership group at Providence Regional Medical Center at Everett.
- Communications - Defined and implemented communications and roll-out plans for expanding transitional care unit beds at Providence Mount St. Vincent.
- Clinical Advancement - Established structure for the function that is now the Value Measurement and Comparative Effectiveness Team that evaluates the impact of different system expert-to-expert initiatives.
- Service Line Planning - Improved the coordination of system telemedicine efforts by producing a system-wide inventory of telemedicine programs. Utilized the inventory to develop a list of recommendations for improving the communication and growth of telemedicine activities; presented to executive leaders throughout the health system.
- Mission Integration - Assisted with the development of a new mission integration review process to incorporate Providence values into organizational decisions. Facilitated meetings, analyzed data, and presented recommendations to the system Mission leadership team.
- Performance Excellence - Assisted regional leaders in assessing current state of hospitalist activities by creating an inventory of seven hospitalist programs in the Washington/Montana Region. The inventory was used to develop a list of recommendations to utilize financial, operational, quality, and satisfaction measures in a region-wide dashboard.
- Strategic Planning - Aided system strategic office in setting future system goals by designing and authoring an environmental assessment. Created assessment through market research, current events, and organizational interviews with executive team.
- Business Development – Established guidelines that system, regional, and hospital strategy department leadership used to successfully initiate and secure partnerships with independent rural healthcare organizations.
- Credentialing - Managed project focused on streamlining provider and payer credentialing processes, with the goal of reducing denied reimbursements by five million dollars. Project led to a system-wide redesign of accountability for facility credentialing across Providence’s five-state region.